- For Whom is Biodanza?
- What are we working at in Biodanza?
- What is Biodanza not?
- Aims and Benefits of Biodanza
- The origin of Biodanza
Biodanza is an implicit learning system for integration, natural renewal, emotional relearning, and the relearning of primary life functions.
The method is characterized by the provocation of empowering experiences in the group via music, voice, movement and encounters, which multiply the positive experiences of the single person. As a result, negative perceived experiences turn to be felt as less strong.
Biodanza was developed based on scientific facts and experiences, is acknowledged and represented worldwide, and is being actively developed further.
In Biodanza, the personal (according to Sigmund Freud), the collective (Carl G. Jung) and the vital (Rolando Toro) subconsciousness experience an activation to achieve from a historically grown mutual dependence (phylogenesis) an integration with one self, the fellow men and the environment.
For this, different exercises are executed along the five experience lines within the 90-minutes vivencia (Biodanza-entity), compiled corresponding to a given complex methodology (system of rules).
Biodanza focuses solely on the peoples’ positive potentials, and omits stating behaviour role models.
Biodanza can be practicing only in a group, however usually the communication during the vivencia is only non-verbal.
For Whom is Biodanza?
For persons focusing on matters like:
- Persons and relationships
- Emotions and sensations
- Empathie and change of perspective
- Being vital and fond of life
- Identity and integration
- Environment and sustainability
Also for persons, who would like to...
- Be united in a positive way with themselves, with their family and friends, and with their environment
- Live conscious, vital and fond of life
- Not just understand things, but also feel them
- Increase their sensitivity and empathy
- Detect their own identity
- Establish better their boundaries towards others
- Experience better their own and the others’ integration
- Detect or learn to know better their own emotional side
- Love the life and just want to feel good
Biodanza is suitable for people of every age and does not require any preliminary education or experiences. The speech comprehension is of a less significance.
As in Biodanza the integration (here in the meaning of: being in harmony with one’s self, the opposite and the ambience), the strengthening of one’s own identity (inner and outer perception of the own personality, as well as perception of one’s individual position in the world) and the regression (here in the meaning of: emotional remembering of primary life functions) are of highest relevance, also the setting of the own boundaries and the self-protection are very important. In Biodanza you always have the choice to simply omit single exercises, or to 'step out' of the happening, if you feel like doing so.
The single exercises should be of course performed as explained and shown, however there is no “correction” or “wrong performing”. To the contrary: everything is allowed, as long as it is proper for one’s self and does not disturb the others, does not hassle them or even force them to behave in a certain way.
Although body contact does take place in Biodanza, psychic and physical intrusion is frowned upon and leads if necessary to an intervention by the facilitators. – In Biodanza the sense for intrusion is also sharpened and trained in order to omit such behaviour, change or parry it. – self-protection
What are we working at in Biodanza?
In Biodanza we work on the integration, the identity and the regression, based on a holistic value system and the awareness of life.
We follow five “lines of experience” (according to the „Theoretical Model“ of Biodanza), which among others become manifest in:
- Vitality – activity and rest, life-affirming and self-regulating, a comprehensive health consciousness
- Creativity – innovation, flexibility, curiosity, change, constant further education
- Affectivity – connection to the others and relations building, relations care, cooperation and collaboration
- Transcendence – sense and care for others and generally for the environment
- Sexuality – motivation, joy to do things, pleasure, passion for something
What is Biodanza not?
Biodanza is not a therapy, even though the heath promoting and the therapeutic aspects for the body and the psyche are international scientifically proved. – no traumas or other negative experiences are focused on.
Biodanza according to Rolando Toro does not include elements of religions or other life sagacities, moral opinions, any kind of esotericism, sports, fitness or life style systems, and doesn’t see itself in competition to these.
Although Roland Toro borrowed some terms from his anthroposophical and phycological studies, these do not find an application in Biodanza in their narrow signification and singular meaning. These terms build rather a congruent concept (archetypes, Carl G. Jung), which is the comprehension of images, present in many different cultural zones. For example “the Angel” represents the archetypical symbol for “the intermediary to the highest spiritual value”. Accordingly, the term „angel“ in Biodanza is not to be seen in the religious concept. The same concerns terms such as Yin/Yang borrowed from the Far East region, or terms borrowed from the mythology.
Some of these terms may lead to an overhasty “classification” of Biodanza, however after an accurate examination this turns out to be incorrect.
Aims and Benefits of Biodanza
Biodanza is about the integration with one’s self, with the opposite and the ambience.
With other words, it is about the natural interaction with one’s self, the ability to accept and love myself the way I am.
A cherishing Together, recognising the own needs, but as well marked by an empathic handling of the others.
Experiencing one’s self as a part of the ambience.
The benefits are among others:
- One just feels better, a better common well-being
- Increase of the own sensitivity and empathy
- Experience of the joy of the movement and the encounters
- Experience of just being myself in the familiar circle
- Switch off – a short trip away from the everyday life
- Health promotion, reduction of stress and burnout prevention
- Discovery of the initial potentials in one’s self, promotion of their evolvement
The origin of Biodanza
Rolando Toro Areneda
The founder, source of ideas and inspiration of Biodanza is the Chilean teacher and psychologist Mario Rolando Toro Araneda (* 19 April 1924 in Chile, † 16 February 2010 in Chile).